Labors of Love
Today is Labor Day, a national holiday in both of my home countries (Canada and the US, in case you didn’t know). To celebrate this long weekend and the end of a wonderful summer, I spent a couple of hours doing something that gives me some of the greatest pleasure: preparing really nourishing foods for me and my loved ones so the fridge will be stocked and there are lots of healthful options ready on-demand.
Something I encourage my clients to do is set aside some time on the weekend to do food preparation for the week. It really doesn’t take much time – just a little forethought and a few key ingredients. In less than two hours this weekend, here’s what I was able to make:
- Cream-cheese (from organic yoghurt – delicious!)
- Sauerkraut (my personal favorite of the cultured veggies I make – loaded with probiotics to promote gut health, aid digestion, and replenish the beneficial flora)
- Hummus (an easy classic that’s great for snacks)
- Goddess dressing (vegan and easy)
- Chicken stock (a handy by-product of a delicious roasted chicken)
- Mayonnaise (a healthful alternative to the store-bought types, packed full of digestive enzymes)
All of these are very healthful, nutrient-rich alternatives to what can be a concoction of chemicals, over-processed ingredients, fake fats, and preservatives when purchased ready-made. And they are surprisingly easy and quick to make. Over the next few days I’ll share the recipes of these labors of love.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only ever recommend or link to a product I have direct experience with and love!
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.