Sleep. It’s the Holy Grail for any new parent.
“How’s she sleeping?” was probably the most frequently asked question we received when our daughter Sia was just born. And the answer wasn’t always pretty.
There’s nothing more exhausting – for everyone concerned – than a fussy baby (or child of any age for that matter) who won’t sleep. There are lots of tricks for getting your baby to sleep, from gentle rocking, to dim lighting, to soft lullabies, to regular bedtime routines, but that’s not the focus of this article. I want to share with you the top 5 things we do using essential oils.
Important point: It’s best not to use essential oils of any kind on infants under 6 months.
- Add 2-3 drops of Lavender or Calm essential oils into a warm bath before bedtime. My daughter and I bathe together every evening as part of our nightly ritual and I’ve found this helps both of us relax more than before we used the essential oils.
- Add a drop of Calm to a carrier oil such as coconut oil, jojoba, or even olive oil, and massage into your baby’s feet before putting him into his pajamas for the night. This is actually a great tip for the application of essential oils on children generally – it is the safest place to put it.
- Diffuse either Lavender or Calm in the baby’s room for 15-20 minutes before putting her to bed. I don’t like to diffuse it while she’s actually in the room.
- Put a drop of Calm on a stuffed toy he likes to sleep with.
- Put a drop of Calm under her pillow or on a cotton ball in the corner of her crib or bed. I actually do this for myself as well if I wake up in the night with a restless mind. It’s the one thing that will always help me settle and get back to sleep quickly.
Now, of course none of these tricks are exclusive to your baby. You can use them on a child of any age over 6 months, and on yourself! Because as we all know, sometimes it’s not just the baby that has trouble settling…
Like what you're reading? Don't miss out . . .
Enter your info to be the first to know when we publish new insights, articles and recipes.
Plus, we'll send you our exclusive Kitchen Essentials List as a welcome gift (because a well-stocked kitchen is the most reliable short-cut to healthy, delicious eating).