Some mornings I awake from sleep craving a smoothie instead of a hearty breakfast. I may still have eggs and vegetables an hour or two later, but there’s no denying my body’s request for the easily digestible, cooling smoothie.
The great thing about making any food from scratch, particularly a smoothie, is you get to control the quality and amount of ingredients. Many smoothie recipes are packed with excess sugar. This one is intentionally mild, so we’re not starting off your morning with a sugar rush. Here’s a winter recipe for all you pumpkin pie lovers. Drink up!
Yields: three 8oz servings
- 1 cup unsweetened organic pumpkin puree (from can or 1 cup of precooked winter squash)
- 1/2 cup whole coconut milk
- 1 cup raw milk (if you don’t have access to quality unpasteurized milk, then replace with another 1/2 cup whole coconut milk and 1/2 cup water)
- 1 raw egg (omit if you don’t have access to quality pastured eggs)
- 4 pitted dates
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (ideally grade B, even better grade C, or just use whatever grade you have)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ground clove
- 1/8 tsp grated ginger (optional)
- 4 ice cubes
Place all the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
Like what you're reading? Don't miss out . . .
Enter your info to be the first to know when we publish new insights, articles and recipes.
Plus, we'll send you our exclusive Kitchen Essentials List as a welcome gift (because a well-stocked kitchen is the most reliable short-cut to healthy, delicious eating).