Yesterday I shared an interview I did with the Raw Food Stylist, Melissa Henig. She’s currently working on her first book, Butter Me Up, and generously offered to share one of her favorite recipes. It’s for Butter Pie. Not your usual pie, that’s for sure, but yummy. I had a taste at the Venice Farmer’s Market a couple of weeks ago and was impressed. A couple of days ago I took the opportunity to make it for myself. We call this “research.” It’s one of the many reasons I love my job.
To me, this pie tastes like a really luxurious banana cream pie. It’s packed full of traditional superfoods and is one of the most nutrient dense desserts you’ll ever find. And it’s well-named: it uses a whole pound of butter, loads of raw cream, raw eggs and some yummy raw honey. In other words: it’s one of the richest pies you’ll ever eat. Go slowly.
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts (buy here)
- 3/4 cup almonds (buy here) [Margaret note: I didn’t have enough walnuts, so I used ½ cup each: walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts. It was delicious.]
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons raw butter, softened. I let sit out on counter a few hours ahead of time. (note: you’ll need a whole pound of raw butter – the remainder is used in the filling)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (buy here)
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until well-ground. Pour into a pie dish and using a spatula or the back of a spoon, press the crust into the pan. Try to make it a consistent thickness throughout. (I just used the palm of my hand.)
- 4 bananas without any brown spots
- The rest of the pound of raw butter
- 5 pitted dates
- 3 raw eggs (from healthy, pastured chickens)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon raw vanilla bean powder (buy here)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender (my personal favorite is the Vitamix) and purée until smooth. Pour filling into pie crust and refrigerate for 6 hours to set (or freeze for 2 hours).
[Margaret naked truth moment: the filling was so tasty it was embarrassing the hurt I put on that blender when I was “cleaning up.”]
- The Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups raw heavy cream
- Juice of a half an orange
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
Combine all frosting ingredients in a bowl and mix with a hand-mixer until it thickens. Make sure you don’t mix for too long or you’ll have butter.
Using a spatula, spoon the frosting onto the pie and smooth out to cover the pie evenly.
Keep refrigerated, and enjoy!
Like what you're reading? Don't miss out . . .
Enter your info to be the first to know when we publish new insights, articles and recipes.
Plus, we'll send you our exclusive Kitchen Essentials List as a welcome gift (because a well-stocked kitchen is the most reliable short-cut to healthy, delicious eating).